Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/allaboutiphone/public/wp-content/themes/prototype/library/functions/core.php on line 27
How to get the cheapest officially unlocked iPhone in the UK

30 Responses

1. Andy Tavistock
    January 8, 2010 at 10:39 pm |

Yeah but you’re still locked into your O2 contract at a minimum £45 per month so whatever network you unlock to use you still need to factor in the O2 cost

2. Iain 117
    January 9, 2010 at 12:30 am |

IMO until the networks (or Apple?) activate ALL of the iPhones functions as standard (VV etc) on unlocked iPhones then it just isn’t worth it.

I really honestly don’t know why some things are “turned off” if you’re not on a pay monthly tariff :-/

3. January 9, 2010 at 1:56 pm |

great report matt! Thanks for taking the time to share the good and bad points..

the handset prices have all stayed static, their are no january sales for apple products, so i think its time to relieve o2 of another 16gb iphone..

4. Scarborian
    January 12, 2010 at 4:52 pm |

On a contract with a 3GS but near the end so decided to un-lock. Filled form in on Sunday and got text message back on Monday afternoon telling me to insert new sim and sync with iTunes. Done and now able to use any service providers sim when my contract expires. Easy!!

5. Scarborian
    January 13, 2010 at 5:35 pm |

Matt
    Yes, I was impressed with the speed! Maybe it was because I am a 16 month subscriber and they want me to be happy to stay with O2. I might just get myself a pay monthly sim and try another provider but haven’t decided yet!
    Cheers.

6. Torrs
    January 20, 2010 at 12:28 pm |

What about if you buy an iPhone from eBay. Can I still buy a Pay and Go sim, top it up to £15 and fill out a request? Is it that simple or is there a catch that I’m over looking?

7. Torrs
    January 20, 2010 at 12:59 pm |

But the iPhone is an O2 iPhone (it came with the O2 sim in it)?!

8. Torrs
    January 20, 2010 at 1:33 pm |

Yeah. Suppose I’ll just have to bite the bullet and see what happens. I read somewhere about needing to make a couple of calls, on the ‘Pay and Go’ SIM, which I suppose will get round the Security Question about Frequent Numbers!

I’ll give it a go and let you know how it goes.

9. January 21, 2010 at 12:37 pm |

Thanx Matt you fantabulous!!! one thing i wanna ask is “how much will it cost for wifi and unlimited-web on pay-go”

10. Best iPhone Deals
    February 5, 2010 at 9:25 am |

UK people must be happy after reading this review. Thanks

Sinthya

11. February 5, 2010 at 9:27 am |

At the whole according to me Tesco is providing the cheapest prices for the iPhone deals. If one is not happy with that then best option is to stick with O2.

12. Spence
    February 6, 2010 at 11:35 am |

Just wanted to say a big thank you Matt for the info on his website, and can confirm that this does work!!

I bought a brand new O2 locked 16gb iPhone 3GS from eBay, bought a pay and go top up card with 20 quid credit, with unlimited texts & internet, and promptly filled in the unlock form on the O2 website. Waited 14 days, made some calls and amused myself by browsing the internet and downloading silly apps. After 14 days and no text from O2 I decided to re-submit the form anyway and then give customer care a call. After numerous calls (after being cut off several times, then having to redial and sit in a queue for 20 mins!!) I finally managed to find out that they had indeed taken the £15 from my credit and that they were escalating my case. The advisor added that I should receive a text in the next 4 working days. That evening I got a text saying “Sorry we cannot unlock your iPhone”. After spending 5 minutes being slightly miffed, I received two texts in a row saying that my iPhone was now successfully unlocked!! Weird but I’m happy!

I’m now happily enjoying my iPhone on Vodafone for 20 quid a month rolling contract. My advice is to give O2 a ring if you don’t hear anything after 14 days. Happy days!

13. Connor
    August 1, 2011 at 5:12 pm |

Would this unlock now mean it can be used in other countries? Or is that just unlocking it for use with all networks in the UK?

14. Tamara
    August 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm |

Will this work for the iphone 4?

15. Boo
    October 30, 2011 at 10:41 am |

Hi, I live in France and have an iPhone 3G with Virgin Mobile here. I’d like to use the mobile when in the UK. (I’ve a PAYG number with Orange). What would you recommend please? Could I get the phone unlocked to use a UK sim? Thanks for any help.

16. Raj7777
    November 1, 2011 at 8:24 pm |

i brought mine off ebay. Called orange to unlock and a scum said it would cost £25, when i pointed out its £20 on their website, scum replied “oh alright its £20 then”.
    After another wait came the iphone chap pops up, he told me they could not unlock on a pay monthly contract since I was not the orginal owner and i had to get the original owner to request it and they would have to pay for it and I would have to pay them back…this bastard company….and I have been with them since 2007…no more thou…

17. Stuart Smillie
    February 22, 2012 at 2:32 am |

Right Hello Matt i Just Brougth a iPhone 3G off eBay, So i Buy an O2 Sim PAYG put it in my iPhone. Go home fill out the form and done in some days time ( Cant they just Unlock it at the Store

18. Tonyscarr21
    March 12, 2012 at 2:32 am |

I would rather take a chance with eBay than pay the silly amounts you talk of

19. Scapron
    April 13, 2012 at 2:32 pm |

This is all well and good if you’ve already got an iPhone but what if you want to buy one unlocked!?

20. Jayc808
    August 27, 2012 at 10:42 am |

The cheapest best iPhone 4 and 4s sim free heresy http://www.jcistore.co.uk and http://www.jcigame.com

21. Smartphone SwapShop
    June 29, 2013 at 11:34 am |

Or you could simply purchase a SIM free iPhone from http://www.refurbiphones.co.uk

Comments are closed.